Everything bagel ice cream is a unique salty and sweet frozen dessert that's easy to make in your own home! Sweet cream cheese ice cream is filled with sweet & salty everything bagel streusel.
Looking for a new unique snack or dessert treat? Make a batch of everything bagel ice cream. It's a combination of sweet cream cheese ice cream and flavorful streusel filled with salt, garlic, poppy seeds, and sesame seeds. Sweet & salty snack lovers, you're going to want to give this a try!
This unique ice cream flavor was first introduced by Jeni's ice cream in early 2021 as a limited edition flavor. It was extremely hard to find and sold out quickly. I never got a chance to try the original, so I made my own at home!
Update 3/31/22 - I ordered a pint of everything bagel ice cream during the 2022 re-release. While similar, this homemade version does not taste exactly like the original. My recipe contains more streusel and stronger everything bagel flavor. If you'd like to make your ice cream closer to the original, try cutting the everything bagel seasoning in half (I've also added this note to the recipe card).
While you may need an acquired taste for this ice cream, it's perfect for curbing your sweet and salty cravings! If you're feeling adventurous and looking for a unique dessert experience, this ice cream may be for you.
What does everything bagel ice cream taste like?
Everything bagel, but... ice cream? Your taste buds may be confused by this sweet and salty ice cream.
The ice cream base is rich, creamy, and tastes like sweet cream cheese - sort of like a cheesecake ice cream.
The streusel starts out with a traditional sweet streusel base - made with flour, sugars, and melted butter. Everything bagel seasoning adds a distinct savory flavor, specifically garlic and onion. It's made with with salt, garlic, onion, sesame seeds, and poppy seeds.
Together, they make a unique salty and sweet flavor combination that may feel confusing at first. However, give it a few bites to sink in. It really grows on you!
If you love typical sweet and salty treats like salted caramel, chocolate covered pretzels, or bacon and pancakes, this may be the ice cream for you.
Ingredients and substitutions
For the base of your no churn ice cream, you'll need a can of sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream. These two ingredients are a must and cannot be substituted. Sweetened condensed milk cannot be substituted with evaporated milk - these are two very different ingredients.
Cream cheese can be original or lower fat - either will work as long as you're using an 8 ounce brick.
I highly recommend using unsalted butter in your streusel because you'll be getting plenty of salty flavor from your everything bagel seasoning.
Everything bagel seasoning can be found at many grocery stores across the country. You can also find it on Amazon:
- Trader Joe's - Everything but the bagel seasoning
- Olde Thompson - Everything bagel seasoning (this is what I use)
- Badia - Everything bagel seasoning mix
Optional - add two teaspoons of vanilla extract. While the original ice cream flavor did not include vanilla, I find that it enhances the sweet flavor of the ice cream and balances out the salty streusel.
Making your streusel
Before assembling your ice cream, you'll want to make your streusel. Jeni's ice cream refers to their streusel as an everything bagel gravel, which they sold for a short time.
To recreate this gravel, you're going to mix together unsalted butter, flour, sugars, and everything bagel seasoning until it looks wet and clumps together. A hand mixer will make this step easier.
Spread your streusel onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. Allow your streusel to cool completely before adding to your ice cream - it will melt and deflate your whipped cream if added warm!
How long does it take for no churn ice cream to freeze?
No churn ice cream takes between 4 to 6 hours to freeze, or overnight, depending on the temperature of your freezer.
If you're making ice cream for an event, it's best to make it the day beforehand to ensure it will be frozen evenly throughout.
What size pan to use
This recipe will fill a 9x5 loaf pan (as shown in the photos). However, any container or pan with a 6 cup capacity will work.
If using a freezer-safe tupperware container, check the bottom for a cup capacity - most are labeled with their size.
Or, split your ice cream between two smaller containers - this will also help speed up the freezing time!
No Churn Everything Bagel Ice Cream
- ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (120 g) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (66 g) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (70 g) brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons (35 g) everything bagel seasoning, *
- 8 ounces (227 g) cream cheese, softened
- 14 ounce can (397 g) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, optional
- 2 cups (454 g) heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add melted butter, flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and everything bagel seasoning. Mix with a hand mixer until mixture clumps together and forms small balls. Pour out onto prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before adding to your ice cream.
- In a large bowl, add cream cheese. Blend with a hand mixer until creamy. Add sweetened condensed milk (and optionally, vanilla extract) and mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks are achieved, up to 3 minutes. Gently fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture until fully incorporated. The mixture should look fluffy.
- Last, crumble your cooled streusel into the ice cream mixture and gently fold to incorporate. Pour into a loaf pan (or any six cup freezer-safe container) and spread into an even layer. Optionally, top with a pinch of everything bagel seasoning.
- Cover and freeze immediately for 4-6 hours or until firm.
- Vanilla extract is optional, but I find that it enhances the sweetness of the ice cream and helps balance the salty streusel flavor.
- *Everything bagel seasoning can be cut in half for less savory flavor.
- Homemade ice cream will keep for up to 2 months in the freezer in a tightly sealed container.
Leave a Reply