Homemade honey limeade is the perfect drink to cool you off this summer. Fresh squeezed lime juice is sweetened with honey to make this refreshing beverage.
Making a batch of homemade limeade is easier than you think. It's made with only three ingredients - fresh squeezed lime juice, honey, and water.
This recipe makes 48 ounces of limeade - enough for about six 8-ounce servings. Enjoy on a hot summer day around the pool or serve at your next birthday party or barbecue!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Lime juice - Can be substituted with lemon juice to make honey lemonade. Or try my pineapple mint lemonade recipe! I recommend using fresh limes instead of bottled lime juice. The flavor is bright, fresh, and all-around superior. About 8 limes will make 1 cup of fresh lime juice.
- Honey - Can be substituted with maple syrup for a slightly different flavor. If you'd like to substitute the honey with granulated sugar, you'll want to make a simple syrup. To make a simple syrup, combine granulated sugar and water at a 1:1 ratio over medium heat on the stove top. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved, then remove from heat.
Adjusting the sweetness
The sweetness of your limeade is totally up to your personal preferences. ½ cup of honey is a great place to start with this recipe. It gives you a sweet, but not too sweet limeade.
For a tart drink, try using ⅓ cup of honey.
For a very sweet drink, try using ⅔ cup of honey.
Limeade vs. lemonade
Limeade and lemonade are very similar! Both beverages are made with fruit juice, sugar (or other sweetener), and water.
Limeade is made with lime juice, and lemonade is made with lemon juice. Otherwise, the drinks are identical. If you'd prefer to make lemonade with this recipe, simply substitute the lime juice with lemon juice.
How long does homemade limeade last?
Fresh squeezed lime juice keeps for 2-3 days, but fresh limeade should be served the same day for best flavor.
Add a little something extra to your limeade - perfect for summer parties:
- mint leaves
- lime wedge
- strawberry slice
- orange slice
- striped paper straw
Homemade Honey Limeade
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- ½ cup honey, more as needed
- 5 cups water
- In a glass bowl, add lime juice and honey. Whisk until honey is completely dissolved. Pour into a pitcher with water. Taste and add more honey as desired.
- Refrigerate until cold. Serve over ice and enjoy.
- Limeade will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, but is best served the same day for freshest flavor.
- Honey can be adjusted to suit your tastes. ⅓ cup of honey will make a fairly tart limeade.
- Lime juice cam be substituted with lemon juice to make lemonade.
- About 8 limes = 1 cup of lime juice