These Halloween rice krispies treats are an easy no-bake treat to make for Halloween. Chewy chocolate rice krispies treats are topped with a white chocolate spider web - a fun addition to your Halloween treat table.
Looking for a fun and easy no-bake treat to make for Halloween? These chocolate rice krispies treats are easy to whip up in minutes and make a fun addition to your Halloween dessert table.
Kids and adults alike will enjoy these chewy rice krispies treats. They're filled with rich chocolate, gooey marshmallows, and rice krispies cereal, with a white chocolate spiderweb on top.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Rice krispies cereal - Can be substituted with cocoa crispies if you have it available in your area. If using cocoa crispies (the chocolate version of rice krispies cereal), you can also omit the chocolate chips from the recipe.
- Butter - Salted butter, or unsalted butter and a pinch of salt, works in this recipe.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips - Can be substituted with other baking chip flavors for a different color.
- Marshmallows - Regular or mini marshmallows can be used in this recipe. I prefer mini marshmallows because they melt quickly.
- White chocolate chips - I find that white chocolate chips are best for drawing spider webs. Melting wafers could work, but melt into a thinner consistency that's difficult to control.
Tips and tricks
- Piping bag - Carefully pour your melted chocolate into a plastic sandwich bag or small piping bag. Seal the bag, then cut off a small tip from one of the corners.
- Drawing spider webs - Starting at one corner of the rice krispies treat, draw four lines of the same length out from the corner to create a starburst pattern. Then, draw a swooping line to connect the ends of each line together. Last, add one more set of swooping lines halfway down the four lines to complete the spider web design.
- Chocolate consistency - If your chocolate is very warm, it may be too runny and difficult to control. If this is the case, allow it to cool and thicken for a few minutes before continuing.
Frequently asked questions
Rice krispies are best served within 1 day of preparing. If you're making them a day ahead, store them in a tightly sealed container at room temperature to keep them as fresh as possible.
Yes! Layer your rice krispies treats between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container. They should last about six weeks in the freezer when stored properly.
Marshmallows can be substituted with a jar of marshmallow fluff. The butter and marshmallows could also be substituted with ¾ cup of peanut butter and ¾ cup of honey heated over medium heat until melted and smooth, similar to the base of scotcheroos.
Halloween Rice Krispies Treats
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 10 ounces (284 g) mini marshmallows
- 1 cup (170 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 cups (168 g) rice krispies cereal
- ½ cup (85 g) white chocolate chips
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add mini marshmallows and chocolate chips, stirring until melted and evenly incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Add rice krispies cereal and stir until evenly coated. Press evenly into a lightly greased (or parchment lined) 9x13 pan. Allow to set for 10 minutes to cool.
- Slice rice krispies into 2 inch squares and transfer to a cooling rack or sheet of wax paper for decorating.
- Add white chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second increments until warm, then stir until melted. Carefully pour white chocolate into a plastic sandwich bag or piping bag, seal, and cut off the tip from one corner.
- Draw spider webs onto each treat. Start in one corner and draw four even lines outward to make a starburst pattern. Connect the lines with a swooping line at the ends, and again in the middle, to make a spiderweb pattern. Transfer treats to refrigerator for 10 minutes to allow chocolate to harden before serving.
- Rice krispies treats are best served within one day of preparing and will begin to go stale after two days.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly sealed container at room temperature.
- Leftovers can be frozen - layer between sheets of wax paper and store in a freezer safe container for up to 6 weeks. Allow frozen rice krispies to thaw for 15 minutes at room temperature before serving.
- Rice krispies and chocolate chips can be substituted with cocoa crispies cereal.