This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Top your next pasta dish with my Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce. It’s made in a single stock pot, and is filled with tomatoes, onions, garlic, and bell pepper. This sauce will quickly become your new go-to recipe.
My Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce is just that – easy. I always thought making sauces from scratch were difficult, but I couldn’t have been more wrong.
This sauce is assembled in a single pot, and is cooked down on the stovetop over the course of a few hours. The flavors develop and deepen the longer you let your sauce simmer, so it’s worth the wait.
My sauce is filled with onion, garlic, and bell pepper. It’s also lightly seasoned with some basil (I like to buy the crushed tomatoes with basil to save a step), oregano, and red pepper flakes.
If you purchase plain crushed tomatoes, you can add up to a tablespoon of dried basil to your sauce instead.
The best part about this recipe is that it freezes beautifully. I like to freeze extra portions for later, which saves time making those weeknight dinners. You can use quart or gallon size freezer bags for easy freezer storage.
Simply scoop your desired portions into the storage bags, remove excess air, and seal. Freeze the bags laying flat, so that they take up less room. The night before, simply thaw in the refrigerator. Or, place the frozen bag of sauce into a warm water bath to thaw quickly before dinner.
I like to use this sauce on spaghetti, chicken Parmesan, and even in my lasagnas. What is your favorite meal that includes spaghetti sauce?
Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 112 ounces canned crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1.5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, add olive oil. Once heated, crumble ground beef into pan and cook until browned. Remove beef from pan and set aside.
- Add diced onion and bell pepper to pan. Cook until lightly browned and onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Return ground beef to pan. Add crushed tomatoes, sugar, oregano, salt, red pepper flakes, and pepper. Stir to combine. When mixture begins to bubble, cover pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove lid and continue cooking for another 30 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- If freezing, allow sauce to cool completely before portioning into containers/bags.
Last Updated on