Chicken vegetable soup is a healthy and hearty soup - the perfect weeknight meal on a cold winter day. Filled with chicken, green beans, mushrooms, celery, and carrots.
Chicken vegetable soup is my go to recipe when it's cold outside. There's nothing better than having a warm bowl of soup to keep you cozy in the winter months.
This recipe is also perfect if you (or a loved one) have a cold or a sore throat. The hot chicken broth helps soothe a sore throat as well as hydrate you with fluids.
Plus, this soup is filled with healthy ingredients like chicken, green beans, mushrooms, carrots, and celery. What better to get (and keep) you healthy than a soup filled with veggies!
This soup is also gluten free and dairy free, making it an easy, low calorie meal to prepare for the whole family.
Ingredients and substitutions
You'll need cooked chicken for this recipe - a shredded rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken would be perfect.
If you don't have cooked chicken on hand, simply cube your chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in your stock pot for about 3-4 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the pan and begin the recipe as written.
Chicken broth can be substituted with vegetable broth.
If you have leftovers, your chicken vegetable soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, pour into a saucepan and warm over medium heat until steaming.
Chicken vegetable soup can also be frozen for up to three months. Pour into a freezer safe container (or a gallon sized freezer bag) and freeze. Thaw the night before in the refrigerator, and reheat using the directions above.
Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 3 carrots diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 button mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces green beans ends trimmed, halved
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces cooked rotisserie chicken shredded
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and onions to pan. Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to lightly brown and onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add mushrooms and garlic, stirring to incorporate. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add green beans, ground thyme, bay leaves, and chicken broth. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until green beans are tender.
- Add chicken to pot, stirring to combine. Remove from heat, remove bay leaves from soup, and serve.
- Cooked rotisserie chicken can be substituted with cooked cubed chicken, or canned chicken instead.
- Fresh or frozen green beans can be used for this recipe. If using frozen green beans, add an additional minute to your cooking time.
More soup recipes
- Spring Vegetable Soup - vegan
- Cajun Chicken Noodle Soup
- One Pot Beef Tortellini Soup - reader favorite!
- Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup