Spring vegetable soup is a quick and flavorful soup filled with fresh seasonal ingredients. This light vegan soup is filled with cannellini beans, leeks, basil, asparagus, and other spring vegetables.
This spring vegetable soup is the perfect meal to showcase your favorite spring veggies. Filled with fresh asparagus, carrots, celery, and leeks, this soup has fresh flavor for days!
You may think that soup is better suited for winter, but this spring vegetable soup is light and fresh. It won't leave you feeling heavy or overfilled.
This soup can also be paired with crusty bread, roasted veggies, or a grilled cheese sandwich for a heartier meal.
Spring vegetable soup is ready in less than 30 minutes and made in a single pot. Perfect for a quick weeknight meal or light lunch. Bonus - it's gluten free, dairy free, and vegan!
Ingredients and substitutions
I used cannellini beans, but any beans can be used.
Vegetable broth can be substituted with chicken broth or beef broth, but keep in mind that your soup will no longer be vegan friendly.
Fresh herbs provide a superior amount of flavor to any recipe, compared to their dried counterparts. For this soup recipe, I would not recommend substituting the fresh herbs with dried herbs.
What to serve with vegetable soup
A few great side dish ideas to serve alongside vegetable soup:
- Crusty bread
- Grilled cheese sandwich
- Kale Apple Slaw with Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
- Rosemary Garlic Parmesan Crisps
- Dill Potato Salad
- Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Garlic Bread Cheese Bombs
Spring Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 celery stalk sliced
- 1 leek, white part only sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh frozen peas thawed
- 1 cup asparagus cut into thirds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- In a stockpot over medium heat, add olive oil. Once warmed, add sliced carrots, celery, and leeks. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned. Add minced garlic, stir to combine. Cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add vegetable broth, beans, peas, asparagus, salt and pepper . Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables and beans are heated through.
- Stir in chopped parsley and basil. Remove from heat, serve, and enjoy.