Spring vegetable soup is a quick and flavorful soup filled with fresh seasonal ingredients. This hearty vegetarian soup is filled with cannellini beans, leeks, basil, asparagus, and other spring vegetables.
This spring vegetable soup is the perfect meal to showcase your favorite spring vegetables.
You may think that soup is better suited for winter, but this spring vegetable soup is light and filled with fresh flavor.
Best of all, it's ready in less than 30 minutes and made in a single pot. It's also vegetarian friendly and perfect for your next meatless Monday meal.
Ingredients and substitutions
I used cannellini beans, but any beans can be used in their place.
Vegetable broth can be substituted with chicken broth or beef broth, but keep in mind that your soup will no longer be vegetarian friendly.
Fresh herbs provide a superior amount of flavor to any recipe, compared to their dried counterparts. For this soup recipe, I would not recommend substituting the fresh herbs with dried herbs.
Spring Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 celery stalk sliced
- 1 leek, white part only sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh frozen peas thawed
- 1 cup asparagus cut into thirds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- In a stockpot over medium heat, add olive oil. Once warmed, add sliced carrots, celery, and leeks. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned. Add minced garlic, stir to combine. Cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add vegetable broth, beans, peas, asparagus, salt and pepper . Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables and beans are heated through.
- Stir in chopped parsley and basil. Remove from heat, serve, and enjoy.