Chocolate chip mini muffins are the perfect on-the-go snack or bite sized dessert. Filled with mini chocolate chips and topped with turbinado sugar, these muffins are made from scratch and come together in a single bowl.
You're going to love this recipe for Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins. It makes a small batch of 24 soft and moist mini muffins, and the batter comes together in a single bowl.
Best of all, I made this recipe using common, easy to find ingredients. You may already have what you need on hand!
Mini muffins make a great snack, on-the-go treat, or small dessert. Plus, this recipe is easy to customize with your favorite mix-ins, like nuts or dried fruits.
Ingredients and substitutions
For this recipe, you'll need a few common baking ingredients like all-purpose flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, an egg, milk, butter, and vanilla extract.
Make sure you're using baking powder and not baking soda - otherwise your muffins will not rise like they should.
You'll also want some mini chocolate chips to fill your mini muffins. Regular size chocolate chips will work just fine, if that's what you have on hand, but mini chocolate chips are the perfect size for these mini muffins.
You can also substitute the chocolate chips with your favorite chopped nuts, like pecans or walnuts.
I like to top my muffins with a sprinkle of turbinado sugar. If you don't have turbinado sugar on hand, granulated sugar will also do the trick.
Adding sugar to the tops of your muffins before they bake gives them a crunchy sugar crust.
Mini muffin pan and liners
This recipe will make 24 mini muffins, or about 8 standard size muffins. To make mini muffins, you'll need a mini muffin pan, like one of these:
- Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Mini Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 24-Cup
- USA Pan Bakeware Mini Cupcake and Muffin Pan, 24 Well
I'd suggest using mini muffin liners, or giving your pan a thin coating of butter before adding your muffin batter. Even in my nonstick pans, I like to use a thin layer of butter to make sure the muffins release from the pan easily.
Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and butter or grease mini muffin pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add sugar, eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla extract. Mix until fully combined. Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients, add your wet ingredients, and stir until just incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add min chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Fill mini muffin tins halfway with batter. Optionally, sprinkle tops of muffins with turbinado sugar. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (or with crumbs, not batter).
- Allow pan to cool for 2-3 minutes before removing muffins. Store cooled muffins in a sealed container.
- This recipe will make 24 mini muffins, or about 8 standard sized muffins. If making standard size muffins, bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Muffins will keep at room temperature in a sealed container for 3 days.
- Baked muffins can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months, tightly wrapped in foil and stored in a freezer safe container.
- Turbinado sugar can be substituted with granulated sugar.