This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
My Chocolate Buttercream Frosting is the perfect finishing touch for your next cake or cupcake recipe. Light and fluffy, this sweet chocolate frosting comes together in minutes and can easily be doubled or tripled for your next cake.
If you are a chocolate lover, you will agree that chocolate cake can only be topped with chocolate frosting. You will love my recipe for Chocolate Buttercream Frosting because it’s easy, quick, and there’s no cooking involved. It’s sweet, fluffy, and light, and pairs perfectly with my Easy Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes.
This frosting is a standard American buttercream frosting. This means that the base of the recipe is butter and confectioner’s sugar. American buttercream is generally very sweet, but also very easy to prepare. That’s because there is no cooking involved. Once you combine your ingredients, it’s ready to spread or pipe.
This recipe will make enough frosting to spread with a knife or pipe a standard topping (like a rosette) onto a dozen cupcakes. Double the recipe if you’d like a high and dramatic frosting.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- In a large bowl, whisk or sift together the confectioner's sugar and cocoa powder.
- Add room temperature butter and vanilla. Slowly mix until ingredients are fully combined. Then, whip at high speed for 2-3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add heavy cream a tablespoon at a time and continue mixing until desired consistency is reached.
- Pipe or spread frosting with a knife onto cupcakes and serve.
Last Updated on