This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Classic American Buttercream Frosting is a quick and simple sweet frosting to top your next batch of cupcakes. Four ingredients are all you need to make this creamy, sweet, and rich vanilla frosting.
Classic American Buttercream Frosting is a quick and simple frosting recipe. American buttercream is made using butter and confectioner’s sugar, and there is no cooking involved.
This means you can whip up a batch of frosting in minutes with just a few, simple ingredients. Please, no more of the canned, store bought cake frosting. Make your own, it tastes infinitely better and takes very little effort!
They’re the only cupcakes I make for events, parties, birthdays, and picnics. They are crowd pleasers too – everyone loves them!
I also have an amazing Chocolate Buttercream Frosting that’s a great choice for chocolate lovers. It is the chocolate version of this buttercream frosting recipe – sweet, rich, and chocolate-y.
Buttercream frosting can come across as overly sweet. Because of this, I like to add heavy cream to my buttercream frosting. The cream helps tone down the sweetness, and it helps the frosting whip up into a light and fluffy consistency.
If you don’t have heavy cream on hand, milk can be substituted. However, I highly recommend grabbing some heavy cream for this recipe. I also like adding heavy cream to my skillet meals (like this, this, or this) to make a creamy sauce.
Classic American Buttercream Frosting
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- In a large bowl, add room temperature butter, beat until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add confectioner's sugar and slowly mix until ingredients are fully combined. Then, whip at high speed for 2-3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract. Then, add heavy cream a tablespoon at a time and continue mixing until desired consistency is reached.
- Pipe or spread frosting with a knife onto cupcakes and serve.
Last Updated on