This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Fajita Stuffed Chicken is a spicy, flavorful low-carb meal, and it’s made in a single pan. Seasoned chicken breasts are stuffed with grilled onions, peppers, salsa, and cheese. Add your own favorite toppings, like guacamole or sour cream, and you’ve got a complete meal.
Fajita stuffed chicken is a great weeknight dinner that the entire family will love. The best part about making stuffed chicken is that you can customize each one with your family’s favorite toppings. I added grilled onions, grilled bell peppers, a dollop of salsa, and some cheddar cheese.
If you’re trying to cut carbs out of your diet, this meal is a great way to start. No need for a tortilla here! To cut a few more calories, omit the cheese as well. This chicken has so much flavor going on, you really won’t miss it.
To make any stuffed chicken, I first butterfly my chicken breasts. You do this by cutting each chicken breast in half, but leaving one side intact so you can fold it open and lay it flat. I also like to make my stuffed chicken in a cast iron pan. Cast iron is great because you can start your meal on the stove top, and transfer the pan to the oven without having to dirty an extra dish. If you don’t have a cast iron pan or oven safe skillet, simply transfer your chicken to a baking dish before placing in the oven.
What are your favorite fajita toppings, did you add anything different to your stuffed chicken? Let us know in the comments below!
Fajita Stuffed Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. Add sliced bell pepper and onion and cook until lightly browned and onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Butterfly your chicken breasts - hold your hand on top of the chicken breast and slice into the side of the chicken breast, cutting from one side to the other, leaving the opposite side intact. Your goal is to create a pocket for your filling.
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, cumin, and paprika. Add about 1 tablespoon of salsa and 2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese to each chicken breast. Then add your cooked bell pepper and onion. Optionally, use toothpicks to keep the chicken breasts closed around the open edge.
- Reheat skillet over medium heat. Sear chicken breasts on each side for 2-3 minutes per side, until browned.
- Move skillet to oven to finish cooking for 12-15 minutes, or until juices run clear. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Add any additional toppings to your chicken breasts before serving: guacamole, salsa, more cheese, or salsa.
Last Updated on