Ham and cheese hash brown waffles are the perfect all-in-one breakfast. Shredded hash browns, ham, eggs, and cheese are cooked in a waffle iron, making these savory waffles.
Have leftover ham from a holiday dinner, like Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas? This is the perfect time to make some savory waffles.
Using a waffle iron makes the crispiest, most perfectly cooked hash brown waffles. Plus, these waffles are filled with ham, cheese, and eggs – the perfect all-in-one breakfast.
This recipe began as a way to use up extra ham. I figured out that hash brown waffles are the perfect way to use up leftovers. Try tossing in any meat you have on hand – sausage, bacon, chicken, ground beef, turkey, or ham.
Once you’ve made a batch of hash brown waffles, you’ll see how easy it is to customize them with your favorite foods. Try using your favorite cheeses and herbs to create different flavors.
Ingredients and substitutions
For this recipe, you’ll need frozen shredded hash browns (thawed hash browns will also work, but are not necessary). You can also shred fresh potatoes with a box grater if you have them on hand.
Sharp cheddar cheese can be substituted with just about any cheese you have on hand. Monterey jack cheese, pepper jack cheese, or parmesan cheese would all be great choices.
Chopped ham can be substituted with cooked and crumbled sausage or cooked and crumbled bacon.
For these waffles, I used an Oster Belgian Waffle Maker. It’s inexpensive and always makes a great waffle – savory or sweet. I highly recommend it!
Please note that if you’re making different sized waffles on a different type of waffle maker – your waffle quantity and cooking times may vary.
Hash brown waffle toppings
Now that you’ve made hash brown waffles – what do you top them with? I like to top my waffles with a dollop of sour cream and more fresh chives.
Here are some more savory waffle topping ideas:
- a fried egg
- greek yogurt
- sour cream
- caramelized onions
- sautéed mushrooms
- sliced tomato
- shredded cheese
Or, make a toppings bar and let everyone top their own waffles with their favorite toppings.
Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Waffles
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 8 ounces ham diced
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives chopped
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. Spray waffle iron with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, add all ingredients, stirring to fully combine.
- Scoop 1 cup of mixture onto the middle of the preheated waffle iron. Cook until potatoes are crispy and golden, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from waffle iron and repeat with remaining mixture. Serve immediately.
- This recipe is intended for a round Belgian waffle maker, but hash brown waffles can be made in any waffle maker. Please note your waffle quantity and times may vary based on model of waffle maker.
- Savory waffle topping ideas: a fried egg, avocado, salsa, greek yogurt, sour cream, caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, sliced tomato, shredded cheese, guacamole.
More breakfast recipes
- Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- Hash Browns and Eggs Breakfast Skillet
- High Protein Freezer Breakfast Burritos
- Cheesy Hash Brown Potato Casserole
- Overnight French Toast Casserole