This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Cheesy Hash Brown Potato Casserole is a classic side dish that is popular for family gatherings. I have reimagined this recipe and made it completely from scratch – no canned soups needed. This dish is filled with shredded potatoes, cheddar cheese, and a creamy, flavorful sauce.
Cheesy Hash Brown Potato Casserole goes by several names, the most popular being “Funeral Potatoes.” In my opinion, that’s quite an unfortunate name! The casserole got this nickname because it was often brought to the homes of the bereaved after a funeral. It’s an easy to make dish that keeps well for several days in the refrigerator, and can feed a crowd. This recipe is still popular today, which is why I decided to remake it – from scratch.
The original “Funeral Potato” Casserole was made using several cans of condensed soup, with cornflakes on top. I don’t care for canned soup, so I decided to make a from-scratch version. It takes only a few minutes to cook up a roux to replace those canned soups. Once you give it a try, you won’t want to go back to the old (sodium-filled) method. I also replaced the cornflakes with buttery panko bread crumbs. Yes, it’s as heavenly as it sounds.
Cheesy potatoes are always a crowd pleaser. This dish is popular for Easter, Thanksgiving, or even Christmas dinners. Make this casserole for your next barbecue or potluck. If you want to make it a complete meal, stir in ham, cooked ground beef, or shredded rotisserie chicken before baking.
Cheesy Hash Brown Potato Casserole
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 30 ounces shredded hash browns thawed
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking pan and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir to combine, creating a paste. Cook for 1 minute. Add milk and chicken broth, whisking constantly to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and add salt, pepper, and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Pour sauce mixture into a large bowl. Add sour cream and cheddar cheese. Stir until combined. Add diced onion and hash browns, stirring until coated. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, melt butter. Combine with panko bread crumbs until evenly combined. Sprinkle over potatoes to evenly coat.
- Bake, covered, for fifty minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional twenty minutes, or until top has lightly browned. Remove from oven and enjoy. If refrigerating, allow casserole to cool completely first.
Last Updated on