Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies are my go-to recipe for a classic chocolate chip cookie. They are chewy, soft, sweet, and filled to the brim with chocolate chips and chocolate chunks. You won’t need another chocolate chip cookie recipe!
Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies are my go to recipe when I want an amazing chocolate chip cookie. These cookies come out soft in the middle, chewy, and filled with chocolate. The best part is that they’re made from scratch and only require simple ingredients. The only “secret” is in following the recipe!
I start with room temperature butter and eggs, which makes a great difference in your final product. Room temperature ingredients will more easily incorporate together, which will result in a creamy and smooth batter.
I also like to chill my dough for at least one hour prior to baking – preferably overnight. While this will take some planning, it really makes a difference. I actually prefer baking this way now! Preparing my dough the night before means that it’s ready to go when I want to bake. It feels like less time is spent in the kitchen when you split the work between two days.
These cookies are best straight out of the oven, but they’ll stay soft for a few days in a sealed container. My trick to keep cookies super soft after the first day? Add a slice of bread to your cookie container. The cookies will steal moisture from the bread, keeping them nice and soft for days. Simply toss the stale bread and replace each day.
The best part? This cookie dough freezes beautifully. I love to keep frozen cookie dough on hand because I can make fresh cookies in a moment’s notice. Simply scoop them with an OXO Medium Scoop and place wax paper between the layers in a sealable container. Grab two, four, or a dozen at a time and bake! Just add on an extra 1-2 minutes to your baking time if you’re baking them straight from the freezer.
Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 and 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla extract. Beat for a full 3 minutes, mixture will look fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture until just combined.
- Add chocolate chips and chocolate chunks, stirring until just combined.
- Cover bowl or wrap dough in wax paper. Chill for at 1 hour (up to 24 hours) in the refrigerator. Refrigerating will help the flavors meld and also create a firmer dough to roll into balls.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Scoop dough using a 1.5 tablespoon scoop or shape by hand into 1.5 inch balls.
- Place cookie dough balls 2 inches apart onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned around edges. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.