Light honey mustard dressing is made from scratch and comes together in minutes. This salad dressing is tangy, sweet, and full of flavor.
This light honey mustard dressing is a new staple in my refrigerator. You'll love that it's lower in calories than the average store bought dressing, but tastes just as good - if not better!
The best part is that you only need a few ingredients, which you may already have on hand in your pantry. Plus, your dressing can be shaken up in a mason jar, leaving no kitchen cleanup afterward!
This dressing turns out tangy, flavorful, and perfectly sweetened. It's perfect for your next side salad with dinner, or big lunch salad filled with chicken and veggies.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Honey - Honey can be substituted with maple syrup for a maple-dijon dressing.
- Dijon mustard - Can be substituted with any type of smooth mustard - yellow mustard will work in a pinch.
- Apple cider vinegar - Can be substituted with white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar.
- Olive oil - Oil is optional in this recipe (the original version did not include oil), but I find that it gives the dressing a more well rounded texture and flavor.
- Salt & pepper - Adds flavor to your dressing.
What size jar do I need?
For this recipe, you'll need an 8 ounce mason jar. Simply add your ingredients to the mason jar, seal, and shake. Once your mixture is fully combined, it's ready to use.
If you don't have a mason jar on hand, feel free to whisk your ingredients in a bowl, storing your finished dressing in any sealable container.
A traditional salad dressing will include some form of oil, like olive oil or mayonnaise for a traditional honey mustard. In the original version of this recipe, I excluded the oil entirely.
After coming back to test this recipe again, I found that I preferred this dressing with the addition of a small amount of olive oil. However, the oil can be omitted entirely if desired.
Store your homemade honey mustard dressing in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Light Honey Mustard Dressing
- ¼ cup dijon mustard
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In an 8 ounce mason jar, add all ingredients. Secure lid and shake until all ingredients are fully combined. Alternatively, add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a month.
- Dressing will keep in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to one month.
- Original recipe did not include olive oil (I find it adds a more well rounded texture and flavor), and can be omitted if desired.
I thought this would have lemon in it since that is part of the label you have on it.Also, too much sodium, Hopefully, I can skip the salt and still have it taste good.
Hi Ali, I searched the page for the term 'lemon' but didn't see anything, could you let me know where you saw this labeled as having lemon? You're welcome to reduce the salt in this recipe to suit your tastes - hope you enjoy it!
This was easy to make and me and my family really love it! It’s the best tasting fat free dressing I have tried! I didn’t use as much Dijon, and for me it didn’t even need the salt or Pepper, it has a great tangy flavor!
So glad you enjoyed the recipe!
Great flavor albeit a bit strong. Will decrease Dijon next time.
I loved this dressing, especially that it had no oil in it. I am trying not to use oil these days. It was tangy and just right for my taste. I poured a little bit of it on my roasted veggies today and it was good.
So good! Turned out better than I thought!
I found it to be incomplete. The flavour needed to be rounded out so I added another tablespoon of honey, a tablespoon of grapeseed oil and 2 cloves of garlic. It's better but not best. I will say that my Maille Dijon seemed stronger than usual but still, I like at least some oil in my dressing.
Thank you for the thoughtful review, Janice! I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the salad dressing as much as you had hoped. I'm looking to update some of my older recipes - I will add this one to the list to tinker with.
So perfect and so light in calories! Thank you for sharing 😊
Glad you enjoy it Carissa!