This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A buttery cookie crust is topped with a gooey and sweet layer of honey caramel and crunchy walnuts. These honey walnut shortbread bars are an addictive treat that any sweet tooth will love.
Bar recipes are my favorite “last minute” dessert recipe. Not only are they incredibly easy, but a huge time saver. Plus? these honey walnut shortbread bars look complicated and time consuming to make. In reality, all you need are basic ingredients and an hour of your time.
These bars are quite decadent. First, you start with a buttery and tender shortbread crust. Then, your cookie crust is topped with a sweet honey and brown sugar caramel, filled with crunchy walnuts.
I cut these bars into 16 two inch squares, but I don’t blame you if you want to cut them even smaller. This caramel topping is sweet and rich. Try a one inch by two inch rectangular bar. They’d make the perfect addition to your next cookie tray.
If you love shortbread, try my Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookie Dippers, one of my most popular recipes. It’s also a great time saver, you only need 5 ingredients!
Honey Walnut Shortbread Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 cups walnuts chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla and stir to combine. Add flour to butter mixture and mix until a dough forms. Dough may be slightly crumbly, but will hold together when pinched between two fingers.
- Press dough into 8x8 lined baking pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned around edges. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add butter, sugar, and honey. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, then add heavy cream. Boil for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract and salt. Stir to combine. Add walnuts, stir to coat.
- Pour over shortbread crust. Bake 16-20 minutes, or until entire top is bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before slicing. Topping will firm up as it cools.
Last Updated on