Salted Caramel Brownies are moist, chewy chocolate bars that are filled and topped with rich salted caramel. A decadent dessert that's best served with a glass of milk.
Looking for a delicious, easy, and insanely rich chocolate dessert? Look no further, because all you need are these salted caramel brownies.
Not only is salted caramel sauce drizzled on top of these brownies, but I've also baked it inside for rich caramel flavor throughout.
You'll love this recipe because it's a crowd pleasing favorite. Everyone will be asking for the recipe when you bring these brownies to the next potluck at work, or family gathering at home.
Ingredients and substitutions
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper. Then, gather your ingredients.
Natural cocoa powder or dutch cocoa powder can be used for this recipe since there are no leavening agents involved.
Natural cocoa powder will give you a stronger chocolate flavor, whereas dutch cocoa is milder and darker in color.
Unsalted butter and salt can be substituted with salted butter.
You'll also need a bag of soft caramel candies (like Kraft brand) for this recipe. For this recipe you'll use half a bag.
If you'd like to double this recipe and prepare in a 9x13 pan, it will use the entire bag of caramels.
Storing leftover brownies
There is no need for refrigeration - your brownies will keep for 4-5 days at room temperature in a sealed container.
Your pan of brownies can be left whole or cut into squares before storing. If left whole, they will retain their moisture better - which I recommend if you're making them a day or two ahead of time.
Salted Caramel Brownies
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces soft caramels
- 2.5 tablespoons heavy cream
- ⅛ teaspoon coarse sea salt optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add melted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Stir to combine. Add eggs and vanilla extract, stir to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture - flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir until combined. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add soft caramels and heavy cream. Microwave in 30 second increments and stir until caramels are melted and fully combined with cream, creating a caramel sauce.
- Pour ⅔ of brownie batter into prepared 8x8 pan and spread to edges. Top with half of caramel sauce. Add remaining brownie batter on top and spread to edges. Drizzle with remaining caramel sauce.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean (or with crumbs, not raw batter). Remove from oven and sprinkle with sea salt (optional). Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
- This recipe uses half of an 11 ounce bag of Kraft Caramels. If you'd like to use the entire bag, this recipe can be doubled and made in a 9x13 pan instead. Your brownies will be slightly thicker and will take an additional 5+ minutes of baking time.
- Brownies will keep for 4-5 days at room temperature in a sealed container.
- If making brownies a day or two ahead of time, leaving the pan of brownies whole will help retain their moisture. Slice just before serving.
- To reheat brownies and serve warm, microwave for 10-15 seconds for that fresh-out-the-oven feeling.
More brownie recipes
- Dark Chocolate Walnut Brownies
- Small Batch Brownies
- Milk Chocolate Frosted Brownies
- Toasted Coconut White Chocolate Blondies
- Tahini Brownies
- Chocolate Brownie Trees