Salted Caramel Brownies are moist, chewy chocolate bars that are filled and topped with rich salted caramel. A decadent dessert that’s best served with a glass of milk.
Looking for a delicious, easy, and insanely rich chocolate dessert? Look no further, because all you need are these salted caramel brownies.
Not only is salted caramel sauce drizzled on top of these brownies, but I’ve also baked it inside for rich caramel flavor throughout.
You’ll love this recipe because it’s a crowd pleasing favorite. Everyone will be asking for the recipe when you bring these brownies to the next potluck at work, or family gathering at home.
Love brownies? I also have an insanely rich and decadent Milk Chocolate Frosted Brownies recipe, or my first ever recipe on The Toasty Kitchen, my Dark Chocolate Walnut Brownie Recipe. Looking for less? I also have a Small Batch Brownies recipe!
I must say, this may be my new favorite brownie recipe. While I’m not the biggest fan of caramel – it’s insanely rich and gets stuck in your teeth – these bars have just the right amount of caramel without being overwhelming.
For this recipe, I wanted to make an actual salted caramel brownie, not just a regular brownie with caramel on top.
Not only are these brownies topped with caramel, it is also baked into the middle. This gives the entire brownie a salted caramel flavor – which is why we’re here today, right?
This recipe uses half of an 11 ounce bag of Kraft Caramels. If you’d like to use the entire bag, this recipe can be doubled and made in a 9×13 pan instead. Your brownies will be slightly thicker and may take an additional 5+ minutes of baking time.
How to Make Salted Caramel Brownies
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Then, gather your ingredients.
For this recipe, you’ll need eggs, flour, cocoa powder, vanilla, heavy cream, melted butter, caramel candies, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, and coarse sea salt.
First, you’ll prepare your brownie batter. Mix your melted butter and sugars together. Then, add your eggs and vanilla. Stir to combine. Last, add your dry ingredients – cocoa powder, flour, and salt.
Once combined, your brownie batter will look like this. Brownies are such a simple recipe, they can be stirred with a spoon. No mixer needed!
My red spoonula is perfect for mixing and scraping the edges of the bowl – it is probably the most used tool in my kitchen. I only have one, but it has lasted forever and is still in perfect condition!
As I said earlier, I used half a bag of these Kraft caramels for this recipe. Unwrap your caramels, add them to a microwave safe bowl, and add your heavy cream.
Melt and stir in 30 second increments, until your caramel is fully melted and blended with the cream. You will end up with a heavenly caramel sauce.
Here is the most complicated part of this recipe – and it’s still easy, I promise! First, you’ll add about 2/3 of your brownie batter to your prepared pan. Spread it to the edges with a spoon. The batter will be thick.
Next, add half of your caramel sauce over your brownie batter. Most of this will be baked into the brownies, so it doesn’t need to look pretty.
Then, add your remaining brownie batter on top and spread with a spoon. Then, drizzle your remaining caramel sauce on top. If desired, keep a small amount to drizzle on after your brownies have baked for presentation purposes.
Now, your brownies are ready to bake. Pop them in the oven for 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean (or with crumbs, but not batter).
As they come out of the oven, feel free to sprinkle with some coarse sea salt – this step is optional.
How to Store Brownies
These brownies won’t last for long, so you probably won’t have to worry about storage. However, here are a few tips just in case!
There is no need for refrigeration, your brownies will keep for 4-5 days at room temperature in a sealed container.
Your pan of brownies can be left whole or cut into squares before storing. If left whole, they will retain their moisture better – which I recommend if you’re making them a day or two ahead of time.
Also, I highly recommend waiting until they have cooled completely before slicing. Otherwise, you may have a crumbly mess.
If you need to have warm brownies (I totally understand) be careful when slicing and serving. Or, microwave for 10-15 seconds for that fresh-out-the-oven feeling.
Salted Caramel Brownies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces soft caramels
- 2.5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add melted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Stir to combine. Add eggs and vanilla extract, stir to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture - flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir until combined. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add soft caramels and heavy cream. Microwave in 30 second increments and stir until caramels are melted and fully combined with cream, creating a caramel sauce.
- Pour 2/3 of brownie batter into prepared 8x8 pan and spread to edges. Top with half of caramel sauce. Add remaining brownie batter on top and spread to edges. Drizzle with remaining caramel sauce.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean (or with crumbs, not raw batter). Remove from oven and sprinkle with sea salt (optional). Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
- This recipe uses half of an 11 ounce bag of Kraft Caramels. If you'd like to use the entire bag, this recipe can be doubled and made in a 9x13 pan instead. Your brownies will be slightly thicker and will take an additional 5+ minutes of baking time.
- Brownies will keep for 4-5 days at room temperature in a sealed container.
- If making brownies a day or two ahead of time, leaving the pan of brownies whole will help retain their moisture. Slice just before serving.
- To reheat brownies and serve warm, microwave for 10-15 seconds for that fresh-out-the-oven feeling.