This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Creamy Asparagus Bow Tie Pasta is a quick and easy one pan side dish for your next weeknight meal. Bow tie pasta is tossed with lightly steamed asparagus in a creamy parmesan sauce.
I must say, I was excited when I finished this recipe. It’s now one of my favorites – for several reasons. I think you’re going to love it!
First of all, this creamy asparagus bow tie pasta is made in a single pan. This is one of my favorite qualities of a homemade dish – how easy it is to prepare!
Second, it’s absolutely filled with flavor. I love onion and garlic, and use them frequently in my dishes. Starting a recipe off with some sauteed onions and garlic in butter? Can’t get any better than that.
Lastly, this recipe is super easy to add protein in. You can make something in addition, like my Sautéed Garlic Butter Shrimp, or simply add some shredded rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
Toss in some leftover bacon (does this exist?) from breakfast, or saute a chicken breast and serve it sliced on top of your pasta. Or, leave as is and enjoy as a vegetarian dish.
Pasta skillet meals are one of my favorites. Check out my other recipes, like my Cajun Chicken and Spinach Parmesan Pasta Skillet Meal, or Leftover Turkey Bacon Alfredo Skillet Meal.
Don’t have bow ties on hand? Use any pasta you have available – just be careful of the cooking time for your particular pasta.
For this recipe, you’ll be steaming the asparagus during the last four minutes of the pasta cooking time. Keep this in mind, adjust cooking times if needed, and any pasta will work just fine.
What is your favorite pasta shape? Try something different? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Creamy Asparagus Bow Tie Pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups bow tie pasta uncooked
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounces asparagus
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Gently bend each asparagus spear until it breaks naturally (Usually 1-2 inches in from the bottom). Discard the woody end, then slice remaining spear into thirds. Set aside.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, add butter. Once melted, add onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes - onions will begin to brown and turn translucent. Add minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and pepper. Stir to combine. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Add bow tie pasta and vegetable broth to pan. Scrape to deglaze pan if needed. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 9 minutes (or consult your pasta package directions and cook to al dente, minus 4 minutes).
- Uncover, add asparagus, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer for an additional 4 minutes (for very thin asparagus, reduce time to 3 minutes. For very thick asparagus, increase time to 5 minutes).
- Uncover pan. Most of liquid should be absorbed. Add heavy cream and parmesan cheese, stirring to combine. Cook for 2 minutes to heat through and allow cheese to melt.
- Remove from heat and allow to set for 5 minutes before serving (sauce will continue to thicken in this time).