This Creamy Asparagus Bow Tie Pasta is a quick and easy one pan side dish for your next weeknight meal. Bow tie pasta is tossed with lightly steamed asparagus in a creamy parmesan sauce.
You’re going to love this recipe for creamy asparagus bow tie pasta. First, the entire dish comes together in a single pan.
Second, it’s absolutely filled with flavor. Onion and garlic are sauteed on butter, then the creamy sauce is lightly flavored with red pepper flakes and salty parmesan cheese.
Lastly, this recipe is super easy to add protein in. Toss in a handful of rotisserie chicken, or make some Sautéed Garlic Butter Shrimp on the side. Or, leave the dish as is and enjoy on your next meatless Monday!
For this recipe, you’ll need diced onions, asparagus, bow tie pasta, butter, heavy cream, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, pepper, parmesan cheese, and vegetable broth.
If you’d prefer, you can substitute vegetable broth with chicken broth instead.
Preparing your pasta
In a saute pan over medium heat, melt your butter. Then, add your onions and cook until they begin to turn translucent. Next, you’ll add your minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and pepper, cooking for 30 seconds before adding your chicken broth and scraping to deglaze the pan.
Next, add your pasta, stirring to incorporate. Once the liquid comes to a boil, cover your pan, reduce heat to low, and cook your pasta about halfway through. With 4-5 minutes remaining, add your asparagus and cover, allowing the asparagus to steam-cook in the same pan with your pasta.
Once your pasta is cooked through, most of the liquid should be absorbed. The remaining liquid will create a sauce with the heavy cream and parmesan cheese you’ll add next.
The benefit of boiling your pasta in the pan is that the starch that is released into the water will also help to thicken your sauce naturally. If your sauce appears thin, remove your pan from the heat and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. The pasta will continue to soak up moisture in the pan and your sauce will thicken over time.
More pasta skillet meals
- Cheesesteak Pasta Skillet Meal
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
- Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet Meal
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Meal
- Leftover Turkey Alfredo Skillet Meal
Creamy Asparagus Bow Tie Pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces bow tie pasta uncooked
- 16 ounces vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 8 ounces asparagus
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Gently bend each asparagus spear until it breaks naturally (Usually 1-2 inches in from the bottom). Discard the woody end, then slice remaining spear into thirds. Set aside.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, add butter. Once melted, add onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes - onions will begin to brown and turn translucent. Add minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and pepper. Stir to combine. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Add bow tie pasta and vegetable broth to pan. Scrape to deglaze pan if needed. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 9 minutes (or consult your pasta package directions and cook to al dente, minus 4 minutes).
- Uncover, add asparagus, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer for an additional 4 minutes (for very thin asparagus, reduce time to 3 minutes. For very thick asparagus, increase time to 5 minutes).
- Uncover pan. Most of liquid should be absorbed. Add heavy cream and parmesan cheese, stirring to combine. Cook for 2 minutes to heat through and allow cheese to melt.
- Remove from heat and allow to set for 5 minutes before serving (sauce will continue to thicken in this time).