Easy Bacon Jalapeño Poppers are a flavorful, low carb appetizer recipe – assembled in minutes. Jalapeños are filled with cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, bacon, and spices, then baked in the oven.
Bacon jalapeño poppers are an easy appetizer or weekend snack. Jalapeños are sliced in half and filled with a creamy bacon and cheese filling.
Baked in just twenty minutes, this appetizer is quick to assemble and get in the oven. Save time by using bacon bits or pieces, or cook your own bacon and crumble before assembling.
Serve these jalapeño poppers at your next football party, birthday, barbecue, or as a Sunday afternoon snack.
Ingredients and substitutions
For this recipe, you’ll need about 12 ounces of jalapeños. This may vary from about 6 large peppers to 10-12 smaller peppers. This recipe would also work with mini sweet peppers for a milder flavor.
Your cream cheese can be full fat or low fat – I’ve made this recipe using both with success.
Save time by using bacon bits or bacon pieces. Or, cook your own bacon until crispy, allow to cool, then chop or crumble into small pieces.
Sharp cheddar cheese can be substituted with pepper jack cheese for an extra kick of flavor, or monterey jack cheese.
Can you make jalapeño poppers ahead of time?
Yes, you can make jalapeño poppers ahead of time! The great part about this recipe is that none of the ingredients perish quickly.
Assemble your jalapeño poppers a day or two ahead of time and store them (unbaked) in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Or, freeze them for longer storage.
To freeze, assemble as directed, then lay your uncooked poppers out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze until solid, then store in an airtight container or freezer bag until ready to use.
Your poppers can go straight in the oven from the freezer, but may take an extra 3-5 minutes to cook.
Easy Bacon Jalapeño Poppers
- 6 large jalapeños about 12 ounces
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup bacon pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut the stems off your jalapeños, then slice each pepper in half lengthwise. Remove membranes and seeds with a spoon.
- In a bowl, add cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, bacon pieces, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Mash together until combined.
- Fill all jalapeño halves with cheese filling and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until tops and edges begin to brown slightly and jalapeños are cooked through. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- 12 ounces jalapeños = about 6 large or 10-12 small peppers
- Jalapeño poppers can be made 1-2 days ahead and stored (unbaked) in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- To freeze, assemble as directed, then lay your uncooked poppers out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze until solid, then store in an airtight container or freezer bag until ready to use. If baking from frozen, expect to add 3-5 minutes to your baking time.
- Cream cheese can be light or full fat. Sharp cheddar can be substituted with pepper jack or monterey jack cheese.