Creamy mushroom sauce is perfect for topping steak, chicken, pasta, or mashed potatoes. This rich, savory sauce is filled with mushrooms, garlic, and parmesan cheese.
An excellent alternative to traditional gravy or cream sauces!
You'll want to keep this creamy mushroom sauce recipe in your back pocket. It's the perfect way to add tons of flavor to your next meal!
This rich, flavorful sauce is filled with sliced mushrooms, garlic, herbs, and a hint of parmesan cheese. It's made with simple ingredients and comes together on the stove top in less than 20 minutes.
Ingredients and substitutions
White or brown button mushrooms can be used in this recipe.
Heavy cream is a must for this sauce. Using a thinner dairy product, like milk, will result in a very thin sauce.
Parmesan cheese needs to be freshly grated from a block, not pre-shredded. Pre-shredded cheeses are coated in anti-clumping powders. When melted, these powders make your sauce grainy.
I do not recommend skipping the parmesan! It does not make your sauce "cheesy," but instead adds a savory and salty flavor.
Beef broth can be substituted with chicken broth or vegetable broth for a different flavor (for instance, if you'd like to serve this sauce with chicken or pasta instead of beef).
Thickening your creamy mushroom sauce
Your mushroom sauce doesn't contain any thickening agents, like flour or cornstarch, and will look quite thin. Once you've added your heavy cream, you'll reduce your sauce for several minutes.
The addition of parmesan cheese not only adds a savory, salty flavor, but also helps to thicken your sauce slightly. A few minutes off the heat will also help your sauce thicken even more.
This sauce is very rich and flavorful - a little goes a long way! Serve your next steak with a spoonful or two of sauce on top.
Ways to use mushroom sauce
This creamy mushroom sauce can be poured over practically anything. Here are a few of my favorite ways to use this versatile sauce:
- Spoon over your favorite protein - ribeye steaks, filet mignon, chicken breasts, pork chops, or beef tenderloin.
- Toss in your favorite pasta - this recipe will coat about 8 ounces of pasta. Add additional salt and pepper to taste, if adding to plain, cooked pasta.
- Pour over a slow cooker beef roast.
- Mashed potatoes - replace your everyday gravy for upgraded, fancy potatoes!
- Pour over roasted or steamed veggies, like green beans and broccoli.
- Serve your meal with a slice of crusty bread, so none of that mushroom sauce goes to waste!
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Add beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze, about 30 seconds. Add heavy cream, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Bring sauce to a simmer and reduce heat to medium-low, stirring occasionally, until sauce reduces slightly and begins to thicken, about 3-4 minutes. Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove pan from heat and allow to set for 5 minutes to thicken slightly. This sauce is very rich and on the thin side. A little goes a long way!
- Drizzle a few spoonfuls of sauce over prepared steaks, pour over mashed potatoes, or toss with pasta (add additional salt and pepper to taste), and serve immediately.
- This sauce will serve 8-10 when spooned over protein, like steak, chicken, or pork chops. A little goes a long way!
- When tossed with pasta, this recipe serves about 3-4.
- This sauce pairs well with any lightly seasoned main course, like prepared chicken or steak. If tossing in unseasoned pasta or veggies, add additional salt and pepper to taste.