Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits is made on the stove top, finished in the oven, and ready in less than an hour. A classic chicken pot pie filling with chicken, vegetables, and a creamy sauce is topped with homemade biscuits.
If you love chicken pot pie, you need to try this recipe for chicken pot pie with biscuits. It’s everything you love about chicken pot pie – chicken and vegetables coated in a creamy and rich sauce.
The best part? This version is topped with flaky, buttery, scratch-made biscuits.
Plus, you can make this dish from beginning to end in less than an hour. From scratch!
Ingredients and substitutions
Cubed chicken can be substituted with a cooked and shredded rotisserie chicken to save time.
Frozen peas and carrots can be substituted with any small diced frozen vegetables – mixed frozen vegetables are a popular choice.
Chicken broth can be substituted with vegetable broth.
Any milk can be used in this recipe, but I recommend whole milk for a creamier sauce.
I have not tested this recipe with anything other than homemade biscuits. However, it is likely that you could substitute the homemade biscuits with store bought biscuits to save time. I highly recommend trying the from-scratch version first!
I used a 12″ sauté pan for this recipe. A sauté pan has a flat bottom and taller sides, as shown in the photos.
A sauté pan will also hold a larger quantity of food than a skillet, which makes it the ideal vessel for a skillet meal.
Don’t have an oven-proof sauté pan? Simply cook your filling on the stove top, pour into any 2 quart oven-proof baking dish, then top with biscuits.
Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 16 ounces chicken breasts cubed
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter cold
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a 12" saute pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of butter. When hot, add cubed chicken. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked through. Remove from pan, set aside, and cover to keep warm.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, onions, and celery. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables begin to brown. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Add flour to pan and stir to coat vegetables. Cook for 1 minute, then add chicken broth and milk. Whisk to incorporate, scraping the bottom of the pan as needed. Add thyme, salt, pepper, and peas & carrots. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, and allow sauce to cook until thickened slightly, up to 5 minutes. Once sauce has thickened, remove from heat, add chicken, and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine and remove clumps.
- Grate butter (or cut into small pieces). Add butter to flour mixture, stirring to combine. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add buttermilk and stir until barely incorporated.
- Toss dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Handling as little as possible, fold dough in half five times, then pat to a 1 inch thickness.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits and place on top of your pot pie filling.
- Bake entire dish for 16-18 minutes, or until biscuits are browned on top.
More skillet meals
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Meal
- Leftover Turkey Alfredo Skillet Meal
- Cheesesteak Pasta Skillet Meal
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
- Cajun Chicken Alfredo