Cowboy caviar is a flavor packed mix between a salad and a salsa. Filled with black beans, black eyed peas, avocado, corn, tomatoes, jalapenos, and more - this cold salad is the perfect party appetizer.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 12 servings
- 14 ounces canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces canned black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 cup corn
- 4 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
In a very large bowl, add your rinsed beans and prepared onions, peppers, corn, tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro. Set aside.
In a bowl, add all of your dressing ingredients: olive oil, lime juice, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, honey, salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano. Whisk to combine.
Pour dressing over your prepared salad ingredients and gently toss until evenly coated.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. Will keep for 2-3 days refrigerated in a sealed container.
- Black beans and black eyed peas can be substituted with any other beans.
- Cowboy caviar can be made the day before, and is best served within a day of preparing. Will keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
- Fresh corn, or frozen, thawed corn is recommended. If your corn is still frozen, feel free to toss it straight into the salad, as long as you're not serving it immediately. The small kernels of corn thaw quickly.
- Cilantro can be substituted with parsley.
- The dressing can be substituted with your favorite vinaigrette or Italian dressing instead.
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 326mg | Potassium: 396mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 615IU | Vitamin C: 23.4mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1.8mg