This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
My Southwest Beef and Rice Skillet Meal is a simple, one-pan dish with plenty of spicy flavor. Filled with ground beef, black beans, and long grain rice, it’s a fantastic weeknight meal for the family.
I love a quick and easy skillet meal. What’s better than making your entire dinner in a single pan? Not much, my friends! Especially when it’s made from scratch, so you know exactly what you’re feeding yourself and your family. I especially love my newest creation, the Southwest Beef and Rice Skillet Meal. It’s a super filling dish filled with spicy flavor, and it will feed at least four people. Serve a salad on the side if you’d like to stretch the dish even further.
Several ingredients are canned, which makes this an easy last minute meal. If I’m using several canned items, I like to add in something fresh on top, like the green onions or freshly chopped cilantro. This will not only brighten your dish with a dash of green, but also add some fresh flavor.
Southwest Rice and Beef Skillet Meal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 15 ounces canned petite diced tomatoes
- 1 and 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup long grain rice
- 15 ounces canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces canned green chiles
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Once heated, add ground beef and onion. Cook until beef is browned and onions begin to turn translucent. Add garlic, stirring to combine.
- Add taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, beef broth, rice, black beans, and chiles. Stir to combine. Once mixture begins to bubble, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15-18 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and rice is cooked through (consult your rice package for cooking times to be sure).
- Remove from heat and sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Allow to set for 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Serve and enjoy.
- Optionally, add additional toppings before serving: sour cream, jalapenos, green onions, olives, or cilantro.