Day two of Week of Cookies continues today! These shortbread cookies with sprinkles can’t be easier and they bring a festive touch to your cookie tray. You’ll love this recipe because you only need 5 ingredients, and you can swap out the sprinkles for any colors year ’round. How about red and pink for Valentine’s Day, or your team’s colors for the Super Bowl? These shortbread cookies are buttery and crisp, and pair perfectly with a cup of coffee or cocoa.
Shortbread cookies are a classic, and they’re practically foolproof. You don’t need eggs or leaveners, so it’s likely you have all of your ingredients on hand. The main components of shortbread cookies are: butter, flour, and sugar. I like to add a dash of salt and vanilla to amp up the flavor a little, but you’re welcome to leave them out. Or, you can swap out vanilla for a different extract, like peppermint or lemon.
I love how the decorative sugar sprinkles add just a hint of color. These cookies are subdued and simple, not over the top with frosting or decorations. Sometimes all you need is a simple cookie.
Shortbread Cookies with Sprinkles
- 1 and 1/2 cups unsalted butter - room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons decorative sugar sprinkles
- In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla and stir to combine.
In a separate bowl, sift (or whisk) together flour and salt. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix until a dough forms. Optional: add two tablespoons of sprinkles to dough and mix until just combined.
Shape into a long, round tube about 2 inches thick and wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and unwrap. Using a sharp knife, slice dough into 1/4 inch slices and place on lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until cookies barely begin to brown around edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from sheet to cool completely.