Shepherd’s Salad is a light and refreshing salad that can be tossed together in minutes. Filled with cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, feta cheese, olives, and a light lemon vinaigrette dressing.
If you’re in need of a refreshing and flavorful summer salad, look no further.
You’re going to love this shepherd’s salad because it’s filled with healthy ingredients and it’s easy to pull together in a moment’s notice.
Plus, it’s coated in a light lemon vinaigrette dressing. Lemon juice is a great addition to a cold summer salad because it adds a bright citrus flavor.
What is choban salad?
Choban Salad, also called shepherd’s salad or Çoban salatası, is a Turkish salad consisting of chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, onion, and parsley. It is typically topped with a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.
While there are many versions of a shepherd’s salad, the important part is that it’s made with just a handful of easy, inexpensive ingredients that you have on hand.
Ingredients and substitutions
Shepherd’s salad is easy to customize with what you may have on hand. Green bell pepper (or any pepper) would make a great addition to this recipe.
If you don’t have fresh lemon juice, use an equal amount of vinegar instead.
Do you have fresh herbs available? A handful of chopped dill or mint would make a flavorful addition.
If you need to make your choban salad a few hours before an event or party, simply refrigerate until it’s ready to serve.
Because the salad contains vegetables, some juices will be released once they are tossed in the dressing. The salad will start to get soggy after a day or so.
If you need to make your salad a day ahead, I’d suggest separating your salad ingredients from your dressing ingredients.
Then, just before serving, toss your salad in the dressing. This way, your salad will remain beautiful and fresh, without any wilting ingredients.
- 2 cucumbers seeded and chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion chopped
- 4 ounces feta cheese cubed or crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 ounces kalamata olives sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a bowl, add diced cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, feta cheese, olives, and parsley.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and red pepper flakes. Toss to coat.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve. Best enjoyed the same day.
- Try to maintain a uniform size when dicing your ingredients. A salad is easier and more pleasant to eat when all of the ingredients are cut to a similar size.
- Because the salad contains vegetables, some juices will be released once they are tossed in the dressing. The salad will start to get soggy after a day or so.
- If you need to make your salad a day ahead, I'd suggest separating your salad ingredients from your dressing ingredients. Then, just before serving, toss your salad in the dressing. This way, your salad will remain beautiful and fresh, without any wilting ingredients.
More salad recipes
- Greek Chickpea Salad
- Tomato & Basil Chickpea Salad with Feta
- Cowboy Caviar
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Kale Cranberry Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette