Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Pinwheels are a savory twist on the classic cinnamon roll. Puff pastry is filled with sausage, scrambled eggs, and cheddar cheese in a fun and surprisingly simple pinwheel shape.
Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Pinwheels are my new favorite breakfast. Don’t they look fun? I like to think of them as a savory cinnamon roll.
After about the thousandth time of making my Quick 30 Minute Cinnamon Rolls, I thought to myself “how can I make this savory?” And here we are!
You’ll love this recipe because it bakes up in only 20 minutes, with no kneading or dough making involved.
Ingredients for Breakfast Pinwheels
You only need a few ingredients to make these flavor-packed breakfast pinwheels. I love the classic sausage, egg, and cheese combination, but they’d also taste great with bacon.
Want to make them without meat? Eggs and cheese are a great combination on their own. A handful of spinach would also make a great addition.
By rolling the puff pastry into pinwheels, you get a taste of everything in each bite. If you want to take this recipe over the top, drizzle some melted butter on your pinwheels before serving.
I’m of the firm belief that butter makes everything better.
Puff pastry is one of my favorite ingredients to keep on hand for last-minute recipes. If your puff pastry is still frozen, it will thaw completely in 30 minutes on the counter.
If you’re able to plan ahead, puff pastry will also thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Looking for more puff pastry recipes?
Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Pinwheels
- 1 puff pastry sheet thawed
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces ground sausage cooked
- 2 large eggs scrambled
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a round baking pan with parchment paper, or lightly grease, and set aside.
- Roll puff pastry sheet lightly with a rolling pin to remove creases. Sprinkle dough with sharp cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Spread cooked sausage and scrambled eggs evenly across entry pastry sheet.
- Starting at one end, roll dough into a log. Slice log into six even pieces and place into baking pan, leaving at least 1 inch between each pinwheel.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned. Remove from oven. Optionally, brush tops with melted butter before serving.