Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Pinwheels are a savory twist on the classic cinnamon roll. Puff pastry is filled with sausage, scrambled eggs, and cheddar cheese in a fun pinwheel shape.
Sausage egg and cheese breakfast pinwheels are a fun twist on your classic breakfast favorites. They’re like a savory cinnamon roll!
After about the thousandth time of making my 30 minute cinnamon rolls, I thought to myself “how can I make this savory?” And here we are. You’ll love this recipe because it bakes up in only 20 minutes, with no kneading or dough-making involved.
Puff pastry makes these breakfast pinwheels buttery, light, and flaky. Filled with breakfast sausage, cheese, and eggs, they make a complete breakfast meal.
Ingredients and substitutions
For this recipe, you’ll need a sheet of puff pastry, breakfast sausage, shredded cheddar cheese, eggs, and butter. You’ll also need a few everyday spices for seasoning, like salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Want to make them without meat? Eggs and cheese are a great combination on their own. A handful of spinach would also make a great addition.
The cooked ground sausage can be substituted with any other ground meat. Keep in mind that breakfast sausage includes some seasonings already, so swapping with a plain ground meat will reduce the flavor in your breakfast pinwheels.
If substituting with a plain ground meat, I recommend adding 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes when cooking your meat.
Puff pastry is one of my favorite ingredients to keep on hand for last-minute recipes. If your puff pastry is still frozen, it will thaw completely in 30 minutes on the counter.
If you’re able to plan ahead, puff pastry will also thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Pinwheels
- 1 puff pastry sheet thawed
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces ground sausage cooked
- 2 large eggs scrambled
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a round baking pan with parchment paper, or lightly grease, and set aside.
- Roll puff pastry sheet lightly with a rolling pin to remove creases. Sprinkle dough with sharp cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Spread cooked sausage and scrambled eggs evenly across entry pastry sheet.
- Starting at one end, roll dough into a log. Slice log into six even pieces and place into baking pan, leaving at least 1 inch between each pinwheel.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned. Remove from oven. Optionally, brush tops with melted butter before serving.