Pizza Puff Pastry Tarts are flaky, light, and fun savory appetizers for your next get together. You only need four ingredients to make these little pizza bites, and they’re easy to customize with your favorite pizza toppings.
Pizza puff pastry tarts are my new go-to appetizer recipe. They are muffin sized, flaky, and light pastry bites filled with pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. You’ll love this recipe because once you make them for the first time, you’ll see how easy they are to customize. Want to make a vegetarian version? Add mushrooms and spinach instead. Or, load them up with sausage and pepperoni for your meat loving friends.
I have begun to use puff pastry more and more in my everyday baking. While I try to make food from scratch whenever possible, sometimes I don’t have the time. One ingredient I don’t mind purchasing pre-made is dough, like pie crusts or puff pastry. It’s perfect for all those times when you have 20 minutes to whip up an appetizer for a party.
Puff pastry can be found in the freezer section at your local grocery store. I find it near the frozen pie crusts and desserts. The great thing about puff pastry is that you can either thaw it overnight in the refrigerator, or on the counter for 40 minutes. It’s important to note that if it gets too warm, it will get sticky and difficult to work with. So, just set a timer for 40 minutes. If you do forget about it, just put it back in the refrigerator for a few minutes and allow it get cold again.
For this recipe, I used one puff pastry sheet to make a dozen tarts. YOu can easily double or triple it to make enough pizza puff pastry tarts for a larger crowd. Puff pastry comes in an 9×9 inch sheet. I use a rolling pin to roll it out to about 9×12, so I have 12 – 3 inch squares. It also comes with a dusting of flour on the outside, so you don’t even need to toss down flour to roll the dough out. Puff pastry has officially won my heart.
What are your favorite pizza toppings? What would you add to your pizza puff pastry tarts?
Pizza Puff Pastry Tarts
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 2 ounces pepperoni sliced or cubed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll puff pastry sheet to 9" x 12". Slice into twelve 3" squares. Push squares into twelve muffin tins.
- Add 1 teaspoon of pizza sauce to each puff pastry cup. Divide pepperoni evenly between cups, and add a heaping tablespoon of mozzarella to the top of each cup.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned on tops. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1 minute in muffin tins before removing and enjoying.