Parmesan Roasted Broccoli with Red Pepper Flakes is a flavorful side dish that's ready in less than 30 minutes. Made with frozen broccoli, this time-saving recipe is filled with flavor from the addition of Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes.
Tired of cooking up your frozen broccoli only to end up with a limp, soggy mess? You'll love this recipe for parmesan roasted broccoli with red pepper flakes because your broccoli can go straight from freezer to oven, no thawing needed.
The key to success is making sure your oven is nice and hot, and preheating your sheet pan beforehand! No more soggy broccoli sitting in puddles on your sheet pan.
Parmesan cheese creates a crunchy, salty crust that is just divine, and red pepper flakes add just a hint of heat and flavor. I've you like broccoli, you'll love this oven roasted recipe.
Using frozen broccoli
For this recipe, you'll need a bag of frozen broccoli. This recipe is specifically made for frozen vegetables by using a high oven heat and preheating your sheet pan beforehand.
Preheating your sheet pan
There are a few musts to make this recipe successful. First, don't be afraid to crank up your oven for this recipe. You need the high heat to quickly defrost and cook your frozen broccoli.
Next, you must preheat your baking sheet beforehand. While you are prepping the broccoli, place your baking sheet into the oven for 5 minutes.
When you pour your broccoli onto a preheated baking sheet, it will instantly begin to defrost. The water will evaporate instead of slowly forming puddles for your broccoli to sit in.
Using fresh broccoli
If you're using fresh broccoli for this recipe, I'd recommend shortening your baking time by up to 5 minutes and turning your broccoli halfway through baking.
Because it's fresh, not frozen, it will cook and brown faster.
Parmesan and Red Pepper Roasted Broccoli
- 16 ounces frozen broccoli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Five minutes before baking, place lined baking sheet into oven to preheat.
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add frozen broccoli and toss to coat. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and pour broccoli onto pan. Spread into a single layer. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until broccoli is browned and cooked through. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- You will have the best success when your oven is very hot and your baking sheet is also preheated and very hot when you add your broccoli. This will ensure that your broccoli does not get soggy and sit in puddles of water while defrosting and cooking.
- If you'd like to use fresh broccoli instead of frozen, watch your broccoli when baking as you will likely need to reduce the baking time by about 5 minutes.