Lentil and Basil Vegetable Soup is a flavorful and nutrient-dense soup that’s packed with veggies, herbs, and spices. This vegetarian soup will fill you up and keep you warm on a cold day.
I love finding a healthy recipe that’s also filled with flavor. My lentil and basil vegetable soup is filled with healthy veggies like tomatoes, carrots, onions, and celery.
Herbs like basil and oregano add an Italian touch to this recipe, but cumin is the star of the show. Cumin adds warmth and richness, with its nutty and peppery flavor.
Lentils are a fantastic component for your next lunch or dinner. They’re easy to cook with, they’re inexpensive, and they’re packed with fiber and protein.
This means they’ll help keep you full until your next meal. I don’t think lentils are used enough in American cuisine, considering all of their benefits.
This soup makes a great meal prep recipe as well. I’d recommend eating any recipe that includes legumes within 3-4 days of preparing. They simply don’t last long in the refrigerator.
However, this recipe freezes beautifully, and will last 2-3 months in the freezer in a well sealed container. Other fantastic freezer recipes include my Slow Cooker Chili and Slow Cooker Taco Chili. Try subbing in lentils for the ground beef to make those vegetarian as well!
Lentil and Basil Vegetable Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dried lentils rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- In a stockpot over medium heat, add olive oil. Once warmed, add onion, carrot, and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add cumin, paprika, dried thyme, dried basil, tomatoes, lentils, vegetable broth, water, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat.
- Move 2 cups of soup to a blender. Remove the blender lid's center insert. Cover the top with a kitchen towel and puree. Return to stockpot and stir into remaining soup.
- Stir in fresh basil. Serve and enjoy.