Homemade Gingerbread Loaf is soft, moist, and perfectly spiced with your favorite holiday flavors. Pair with your morning coffee, enjoy as dessert, or give as a gift.
It's that time of year again. Pull out the cinnamon, find the cloves, and buy a fresh jar of molasses. That's right - it's gingerbread season.
You'll love this homemade gingerbread loaf because it's quick and super easy to make. Plus, it gets you in the holiday spirit pronto. Who can resist the warm and cozy scent of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and molasses?
Properly measured flour
One key to successful baking is properly measuring your ingredients, including your flour. I recommend weighing your flour, or using the spoon and level method.
Spoon flour into your measuring cup, then level the top off with a knife. When scooping flour directly from the container with your measuring cup, you're compacting the flour into the measuring cup. This adds up to 25% extra flour to your recipe.
Adding extra flour to your bread can make it dry, so be sure to spoon and level your flour for this recipe!
Give as a gift
Quick bread recipes make a fantastic homemade gift. Buy a pretty loaf pan, bake a loaf of gingerbread inside, then gift away!
These Emile Henry Ruffled Loaf Pans are pretty and high quality loaf pans. The white ruffled loaf pan would look beautiful with some fresh gingerbread baked inside.
Homemade Gingerbread Loaf
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup molasses
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper (or grease and flour bottom and sides) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
- In a small bowl, add molasses and boiling water. Stir until combined. Add to wet ingredients and combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk (or sift) together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Cover loaf pan lightly with foil (remove foil halfway through baking. This ensures that the top of your bread doesn't burn.) Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Optionally, dust with confectioner's sugar or serve with a dollop of whipped cream.