Week of Cookies continues on The Toasty Kitchen today with a rich, chocolatey cookie. Today I am sharing with you my recipe for Dark Chocolate Hot Cocoa Cookies. Not only are these cookies easy, they are an adorable addition to your holiday cookie tray. It’s like you’re looking down at a mug of hot cocoa, with marshmallows floating on top. The mini marshmallows are added in the last few minutes of baking, giving them just enough time to melt without toasting.
I tested the marshmallows in this recipe several ways before deciding upon this method. If you’re curious, here’s how it went.
- I placed mini marshmallows inside the cookie. They melted and disappeared almost entirely. I decided that I wanted more of a marshmallow ‘visual’, so I went back to the drawing board.
- Because I wanted to see the marshmallows, I flattened the cookie dough and placed them on top before baking. They toasted to a beautiful golden brown, but again the marshmallows melted and almost entirely disappeared.
- On my last attempt, I allowed the cookies to bake almost entirely. Then I placed the marshmallows on top with only 2 minutes remaining. The marshmallows melted, but stayed mostly intact. We have a winner!
Either of the first two options may turn out if you use a standard marshmallow cut in half. I think with more marshmallow concentrated in one place, it may disappear less within the baking time. If you give it a try, let me know how it goes!
I love how the mini marshmallows look on top of these cookies. They’re adorable little puffs of sugar 🙂 Once the cookies have cooled, the marshmallow stays soft and sticky, but the lightly browned tops have just a tiny bit of crust. You can stack them without the cookies sticking together.
Wouldn’t these make an adorable gift stacked inside a coffee mug?
Dark Chocolate Hot Cocoa Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 and 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla extract. Beat for a full 3 minutes, mixture will look fluffy. Add milk and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk (or sift) together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture until just combined.
- Add chocolate chunks and stir until just combined.
- Cover bowl or wrap dough in wax paper. Chill for at 1 hour (up to 24 hours) in the refrigerator. Refrigerating will help the flavors meld and also create a firmer dough to roll into balls.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Scoop dough using a 1.5 tablespoon scoop or shape by hand into 1.5 inch balls.
- Place cookie dough balls 2 inches apart onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 6 minutes, then remove baking sheet from oven and add 3 mini marshmallows to each cookie, pressing down lightly. Return to oven and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.