Chili Garlic Shrimp and Broccoli is an easy, flavorful, 20 minute meal. Shrimp and broccoli are sauteed and coated in a flavorful hot chili garlic sauce.
You'll love this recipe for chili garlic shrimp and broccoli because it's easy, flavorful, and ready in just twenty minutes. All you need are a handful of ingredients and a single saute pan.
Chili garlic sauce is the star ingredient in this recipe - hot, tangy, and filled with chopped chilies and garlic. To this, you'll add honey, oyster sauce, and low sodium soy sauce. Toss your shrimp and broccoli in this easy sauce and your meal is ready.
Serve your shrimp and broccoli over a bed of freshly steamed rice, noodles, or on its own!
For this recipe, your shrimp should be peeled and deveined. Optionally, remove the tails before cooking. I find it easier to remove the tails for this recipe.
If you're opposed to hot flavors, I'd suggest halving the chili garlic sauce, as it provides most of the heat in this recipe. You can also add more honey if you'd like a sweeter sauce.
Chili garlic sauce
Never heard of chili garlic sauce before? You can find it in the International aisle of your local grocer (I found it at Publix), or on Amazon: Chili Garlic Sauce. It is a hot and tangy sauce made with coarse chopped chilies and garlic.
I like to add it to pasta, marinades, rice, stir fry, and anything that needs a kick of flavor. This sauce has found a permanent spot in my refrigerator - it's versatile, inexpensive, and easy to use!
What to serve with shrimp and broccoli
Chili garlic shrimp and broccoli is best served over a bed of cooked rice. I suggest 90-second Ready Rice for a quick weeknight meal. Or, while your shrimp and broccoli are cooking, cook a pot of rice to the side.
You can also enjoy your shrimp and broccoli alone, for a lower carb meal. Add extra broccoli or zucchini to the pan to make your meal more filling.
Chili Garlic Shrimp and Broccoli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a bowl, whisk together your sauce: add water, chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, honey, oyster sauce, and cornstarch. Whisk until combined and set aside.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, add olive oil. When hot, add shrimp in a single layer. Cook 1-2 minutes per side, or until pink and opaque. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add broccoli to pan with ½ cup of water. Cook broccoli until most of the water has evaporated (this should take about 3-4 minutes). Add shrimp back to pan. Add sauce and toss to coat. Cook for 1-2 minutes longer, or until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat and serve over cooked rice.
- For a milder sauce, use half as much chili garlic sauce.
- For a sweeter sauce, add twice as much honey.
- If desired, double your sauce to coat rice, noodles, or extra vegetables.