This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Today I want to share a recipe for Caramel and Pecan Chocolate Turtle Cookies. These cookies combine all of the flavors of the classic turtle candy: chocolate, caramel, and pecans. The caramel bits used inside the cookie are soft and sweet. They are the perfect accompaniment to the crunchy pecans coating the outside of this cookie.
Cookies are a great treat for the holidays, and they are easy to make ahead of time. I like to make and freeze cookie dough, so that I can easily thaw as much or little as I’d like. This way, you can focus on friends and family during the holidays, instead of spending your days in the kitchen.
If you can’t find caramel bits at your local store, you can also use caramel squares and roll them into the middle of the chocolate dough. Or, you can slice the caramel squares into pieces if you’d like the same effect as the caramel bits.
Caramel and Pecan Chocolate Turtle Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 11 ounces caramel bits
- 1 1/2 cups pecans chopped
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Beat for a full 3 minutes, mixture will look fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk (or sift) together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture until just combined.
- Add caramel bits and stir until just combined.
- Cover bowl or wrap dough in wax paper. Chill for at 1 hour in the refrigerator. Refrigerating will help the flavors meld and also create a firmer dough to roll into balls.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Scoop dough using a 1.5 tablespoon scoop or shape by hand into 1.5 inch balls. Roll balls in the chopped pecans.
- Place cookie dough balls 2 inches apart onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.