Love the flavors of a classic BLT sandwich? Then you'll want to try this recipe for BLT chicken salad. Shredded rotisserie chicken, crumbled bacon, and cherry tomatoes are tossed in a creamy homemade ranch dressing.
Chicken salad makes an excellent lunch or dinner, especially when you're on the go. Served cold, this BLT chicken salad can be served on bread as a sandwich, or over a bed of lettuce as a salad topping.
This chicken salad is filled with all of your favorite flavors of a classic BLT (bacon, lettuce, and tomato) sandwich. Crumbled bacon, cherry tomatoes, celery, and onions are tossed with shredded rotisserie chicken. Coating this salad is a simple homemade ranch dressing that's filled with flavor.
Make a batch of BLT chicken salad and store in the refrigerator all week long for quick and easy lunches!
Ingredients and substitutions
Rotisserie chicken can be found at your local grocery store deli. Or, it can be substituted with 14-16 ounces of lightly seasoned, cooked chicken.
For a lighter chicken salad, substitute the mayonnaise with plain Greek yogurt.
Cooked and crumbled bacon can be substituted with store bought bacon bits or pieces.
Green onion can be substituted with red onion.
Ranch seasoning can be homemade or store bought.
How to make chicken salad healthier
Substitute the rotisserie chicken with cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You'll need about 14 to 16 ounces of chicken for this recipe. Using all white meat will lower the fat and calories slightly.
Substitute part or all of the mayonnaise with plain Greek yogurt. I've done this on occasion and no one was the wiser! Once all of your seasonings and ingredients are added in, you really can't tell the difference.
Serve your chicken salad in a lettuce wrap or over a bed of chopped lettuce. Lettuce adds practically zero calories on its own!
How long does chicken salad keep?
Chicken salad will last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. Be sure to store it in a tightly sealed container.
Our chicken salad lasts consistently for 5 days - I like to make a batch on Monday mornings to last all week for lunch.
What to serve with chicken salad
Typically, chicken salad is served on sandwich bread, a croissant, a wrap, or a pita. I also enjoy chicken salad open faced on a slice of sourdough bread (as pictured above).
For a low calorie lunch, serve your chicken salad in a lettuce wrap or over a bed of lettuce as a salad.
You can also serve BLT chicken salad on crackers as an appetizer at your next party!
What can you serve with chicken salad sandwiches? A side salad, macaroni salad, a cheese or vegetable platter, or fresh fruit are great choices.
BLT Chicken Salad
- 1 cooked rotisserie chicken
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 rib celery diced
- 2 green onions diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ¾ cup mayonnaise or plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning
- Remove the meat from your rotisserie chicken and shred into bite size pieces.
- In a large bowl, add your shredded chicken, bacon, celery, onions, and tomatoes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add your mayonnaise and ranch seasoning. Stir until seasoning is evenly incorporated. Pour dressing over your salad ingredients and toss until evenly coated.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve over a bed of lettuce or on lightly toasted bread as a sandwich.
- Prepared chicken salad will keep for 3-5 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- Rotisserie chicken can be substituted with 14-16 ounces of cooked and shredded lightly seasoned chicken.