Have you ever wanted to replicate those huge, soft, and chewy cookies from the local bakery? Luckily, they are easier than you think. My Bakery Style Jumbo Chocolate Chunk Cookies are packed full of chocolate and turn out soft and chewy on the inside.
There are a few important ingredients that contribute to the success of your cookies, but they are easy to find at your local grocery store. The first is 1/4 cup of ground oats (or oat flour). They give the cookie a slight chewy texture and help keep them moist for longer.
If you have quick cook oats in your home, simply grind them up in a food processor or blender for about 30 seconds or until your oats resemble flour.
The second is cream of tartar. If you don’t have this on hand, you can find it in the spice aisle at the grocery store. Cream of tartar is most often used when making snickerdoodle cookies or meringues. I like to add it to any cookie recipe when I really want a soft, chewy cookie. In short, the cream of tartar prevents the sugar from crystallizing and creating a crunchy texture in your cookie.
And if you’re curious about the small amount of cinnamon? It adds just a little bit of warmth to the cookie’s flavor.
You may wonder why I ask for room temperature butter and eggs in my cookie recipes. The reason for this is so that the ingredients will meld together easily, creating a uniform batter and texture in your baked good.
Room temperature butter mixed with sugar will create a fluffy, airy batter. This fluffy batter will in turn create soft, thick cookies.
Love chocolate chip cookies? Check out my Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies or my Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars. Both are highly recommended crowd-pleasers! Seriously, you can’t go wrong with any of these cookies.
Bakery Style Jumbo Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour or quick cook oats ground into a fine powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla extract. Beat for a full 3 minutes, mixture will look fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk (or sift) together the flour, oat flour, salt, baking soda, cream of tartar, and cinnamon. (If using quick cook oats, grind into a fine powder using a food processor or blender before adding to dry ingredients.)
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture until just combined.
- Add chocolate chunks and chips and stir until just combined.
- Cover bowl or wrap dough in wax paper. Chill for at least 1 hour (up to 24 hours) in the refrigerator. Refrigerating will help the flavors meld and also create a firmer dough to roll into balls.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. For jumbo size cookies, scoop dough using a 3 tablespoon large scoop (or use a medium 1.5 tablespoon scoop and combine two balls together).
- Place cookie dough balls 4 inches apart onto a parchment lined baking sheet (I baked jumbo size cookies 6 at a time). Bake for 14-15 minutes, or until lightly browned around edges. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.